100 details for 100 days Day 100

Day 100

With this post being the last in the series I feel that some sort of finish line has been met and deserves a detail that is a little different. It feels like an end of an era!

This is a small sampler I worked on hand dyed 36 count linen fabric. It is 6 inches wide and heavily encrusted with beads. Metallic thread, linen, cotton, wool and silk thread of various weights was used throughout the piece.

Novelty threads were first couched into place. I then worked lines of feather stitch in a number of different threads. I also worked beaded feather stitch and tucked alternating barred chain in between couched threads.

Textured stitches include caston stitch , buttonhole wheel cups, buttonhole wheels, Oyster stitches, French knots and Bullion knots. For those who have problems with bullion stitches I have some tips for working bullion stitch here

There is a new blogger who has started working the details but the title of the blog is a mystery to me as it is in an Asian language I do not understand. The pictures are there though so do check them out.

Annie Whitsed of Annies Crazy World has highlighted the self portrait she made in stumpwork.

Gail of Big Horn Mountain Creations has been stitching and has published images

I nearly missed the cherry tree outline that Katie of Katie’s New place has loaded as part of her motif a day series.

Pam Kellogg of Kitty & Me Designs has generously published a Christmas bell motif

Rissa of Rissas Pieces has published a design for a very ornate alphabet

Since this is the last post in the series I know that tomorrow I will feel a little lost as I scratch around wondering what to write about but it is timely to remind everyone about the “Take a Stitch Tuesdays” challenge next year. With a start date of January 2nd 2007 this challenge will be a weekly event organised to encourage people to take a stitch and explore its possibilities. Each week I am going to work a stitch and experiment with it, and blog the results. What does it look like worked in different threads? What happens when you change the size? How does it behave on a curve or can it be stacked to create patterns? What happens if you work it in a free form manner? What are the inherent design possibilities of this stitch? Anyone who wants to join in and blog their discoveries is welcome.

Exploration and interpretation of stitches and how they might be used is the aim of this challenge so you can stitch on anything you choose, anyway you choose. People have proposed a number of different formats but a sampler can be in any shape or size you like. A sampler can be in the form of crazy quilt blocks, a fabric postcard, a fabric book or samples for folder of stitches. Colour, format, how much exploration is done is up to each individual.

Commitment to this challenge is flexible. Anyone can join at any time. People can join in and stitch as their life dictates. Each week I will link to who has done what. In other words, as I have done in this series a list of links to current activity will be in the post of the week, which means readers can travel the sites to see what everyone has done. Hopefully it will be fun and if anyone wants to be reminded closer to the time drop me an email or leave a comment and I will add you to the mail out list.

I hope you have found this series interesting. It has been most enjoyable for me watching what people have done, seeing how ideas grow and most of all seeing new hands become hooked on stitching for pleasure.

If you are just swinging by, a search engine has landed you here, or you want to print out this series 100 details for 100 days they are listed under that category in this blog.

29 Responses to 100 details for 100 days Day 100

1. Leena says:

Hi Sharon,
    Your work has been a great inspiration for me. And its because of regular visits to your blog that I muster enough courage to write my own.
    I am in the process of learning from your stitch library and following your challenges.I am keen on working the 100details in 100days but I think at Stitchinfingers they have already closed the group. I commented but didnt get a response. Now I have decided to go on my own starting 01 Feb 2009 and doing a Mon-Wed-Fri post on this as everyday posting might not be possible for me. Do you think thats ok or do I have to join a group for this purpose?

rgds
    Leena

2. TeresaB says:

Sharon,

Thank you so much for all your hard work and the inspiration you have given to us all, especially to beginners like me. I came to your series late, but have gone back to the very beginning and will be trying out much of what you showed us. I would love to do your Take A Stitch Tuesdays – can’t wait!

3. Dorothy Matheson says:

Thank you so much for all the detailed work you have placed into your blogs. I think your 100 days is better than any book in print. I am also glad to think that you will publish more work in progress as I think I can learn much from them.
    Dorothy Matheson

4. Peggy says:

Thank you, Sharon, What a wonderful gift you have given us.

5. Barbara says:

Thanks for the inspiration Sharon. I’ve enjoyed picking up a new set of skills for my fiber work.

6. sharonb says:

Thanks all for your comments about the series – it has been fun and I must admit I missing it already. Take a stitch Tuesdays will be on us in no time at all – but please keep dropping by until then as I will miss the buzz otherwise

7. Dear Sharon,
    When started, 100 days seemed to be very long, but now I am missing those days. It must haven’t been easy for you to keep on. Many many thanks from my heart. I would keep stitching your details and uploading photos for a while more till finishing my project. I am still enjoying very much. Hideko

8. Sharon, I’m sorry to see the 100 Details series end, too. Can’t wait for Take a Stitch Tuesdays to begin! I’m signing up for your Personal Library of Stitches course at Joggles to tide me over until then…

9. Candida says:

Sharon… thanks, thanks, thanks… 🙂

10. Rissa says:

Holy cow, I can’t believe you have finished! I am three quaters of the way through…and I should be finished before I go to EGA’s National Seminar. 😀 I am looking forward to the next adventure!

11. Pam Kellogg says:

Sharon, thank you so much for a wonderful 100 Days! I can’t tell you how much inspiration I’ve found in your projects and I’m already looking forward to your “Take A Stitch” project!

Thank you so very much!

Pam

12. ktj says:

What a good way Sharoon to highlight and teach from all that work. I t will be so much fun to keep going on the series, and i think i know a way to combine the two together…….lol…..at least that is my plan as i definitely want to follow along on the Take A Stitch Tuesdays!

ktj

13. Ebren says:

Goodness, what am I going to look forward to in the evenings?
    Thanks for showing us this lovely eye~candy Sharon. It has been a delight.

14. Christina says:

Thank you Sharon– You gave us a wonderful send off. I will enjoy exploring CQ in the interim so that I will be more familiar with the art by Jan. 2.
    BFN ~ Christina

15. M. Corbet says:

Sharon – Wow. The grand finale is stunning. I love the “underwater” look to it, the texture, and the composition of colors – especially the inclusion of the deep red. I would have never thought of the red! That (among a hundred other details!) is undoubtedly what kicks your work up so many notches from “typical.”

Although I picked up interest in the 100 Days a little later than most, I’ve gone back through the whole series. It’s magnificent, and quite an accomplishment. I can’t wait until January for the Take a Stitch series. I’ll be there!

Thanks heaps!

16. Marg says:

Congratulations on a job brilliantly done!

17. Elizabet says:

Hi Sharon, thankyou for this wonderful series.

As I have commented before, you have been such as source of inspiratation for me to try new things of which I was very nervous before.

Have you considered getting it published along with your stitch dictionary?

18. Lin Moon says:

Dear Sharon,
    Thank you so much for starting (and completing) this series. The fact that you discovered a new stitcher starting at Day 1 just shows the legacy your 100 Details series leaves. I think it’s good timing with the holidays, etc. coming up, so I’d rather you go out with a bang than have us all get too busy to stitch along with you – and I think that’s what you’ve done! Thank you again.

19. Emiko says:

Sharon thank you for wonderful details. I just started recently, but found it very exciting. Sorry for the mysterious title of my blog, it is written “Crazy Quilt” in Japanese. I fixed the title a bit.

20. Mary Burton says:

Well done Sharon, the 100 detail project has been a resounding success and a great inspiration to us all. I agree with Judy “Wow! What a finish”!
    Hugs and Thanks for bringing this to us all.

21. Di says:

Thank you Sharon for a wonderful 100 days. I am not an embroiderer but you have inspired me to join your Take a Stitch Tuesday to learn.

22. sharonb says:

Allison – a jacket what a great idea!
    June I have added you to my list and thank for the compliments everyone it has been fun

23. May Britt says:

Thank you for showing us all this wonderful stitches. You have inspired me a lot. And I will for sure be back to learn more.

24. Judy says:

Wow! What a finish, I came by late in the series but have been stimulated to look at my embroidery talent differently. I don’t stitch much, I quilt more but might combine the two now. Love all your stitching.

25. June R (grandma ziki) says:

Thank you so much for this wonderful ride. I learned alot and saw some really great work. Pls add me to your mail out list for the Tuesday Stitching. I will be checking your blog every day anyways.

26. Sequoia says:

I don’t even do embroidery work or crazy quilts, but I am going to be sad to see this series end. Thank you so much for the time you’ve put into this. It has been fun to check in each day to see what you’ve created.

27. Allison says:

A fond farewell to the 100 Details. Sharon, it has been so much fun!
    I decided the format for my Take A Stitch Tuesday is going to be an embroidered blue jean jacket….and I’ll be wearing it on your tour!

28. Tina says:

Oh I am going to miss your details… I love them all…. Thanks for sharing your talent with us!