TAST 2010 Week 3 Beaded Hedebo Edge

This week I am going to introduce a stitch I discovered in the A-Z of Embroidery Stitches: v. 2. I am sure crazy quilters will love this stitch as it is so decorative and pretty. I know that it is likely to become one of my favourites. I have only worked it in a line but plan to experiment with it in zig-zag formation, in squares, along the edge of paisley patterns. Apart from being used as an edging stitch, this stitch has loads of creative potential.

step by step instructions

It is called Beaded Hedebo Edge and consists of a foundation row of cross stitches which are then worked over in beads and scalloped with a form of buttonhole.

For purposes of this sample I used 3m beads, tapestry needle size 26 and perle 8 thread.

step by step instructions

A note for those who did not do TAST 1. You may want to take a look at up and down buttonhole stitch because the the second part of working up and down buttonhole is the same hand action as the knotted buttonhole stitch on Beaded Hedebo Edge.

How to work Beaded Hedebo Edge

step by step instructions

First make a line of half cross stitches almost as if you were working alternating cross stitch but make every second stitch longer.

step by step instructions

Make the return run to complete the cross stitches.

step by step instructions

Bring the needle to the front at ‘A’ and thread a seed bead on your needle.

Take it back into the fabric at ‘B’

step by step instructions

Your bead will sit at an angle as illustrated.

step by step instructions

Bring your needle out of the fabric at ‘C’

step by step instructions

Pass your needle upwards under both bars of the cross stitch but NOT through the fabric.

step by step instructions

Wrap the thread behind the needle as illustrated. (Don’t worry about the fact that I have already worked a stitch I just mucked up the first photo)

step by step instructions

Pull the needle through in an upwards motion. Half way along the length of the thread change direction and move your hand downwards. This means you are stitching in an up and over motion.

step by step instructions

As you tighten the thread slightly a loop is made at the bottom of the bar.

Pull until snug.

NOTE: Your are not stitching through the fabric

step by step instructions

Continue along the cross bars until the bars are snug, packed with stitches.

Take your needle to the back at the base of the bar

Bring your needle out at the base of the small cross stitch, take up a bead thread it on your needle. Take your needle to the back at the top of the stitch.

Bring your needle out at the base of the long cross stitch ready to repeat the process again.

sample of Beaded Hedebo Edge stitch

Continue in this manner until you have worked all the bars.

How to join in

Stitch a sample,  take a photograph of it, put in online in your blog, flickr site or on Stitchin Fingers page, swing by here and leave a comment with your full web address so people can visit and see your sample.

Any special rules?

There are no rules but I do have a request, please link back here.

Further information

If you need further information on the challenge a list of stitches covered so far or directions on how to participate please visit the TAST FAQ page.

You can read back through TAST articles by browsing Challenges –  Take a Stitch Tuesday category

Other groups and networks

You can also share your explorations with other members on the social network site of your choice. There is a Facebook TAST 2012 page,   stitchin fingers group and the flickr TAST site. All these sub groups are set up at request of members

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to TAST 2010 Week 3 Beaded Hedebo Edge

1. Virginia says:

I haven’t had much time but I did manage to sneak in a bit of fun with Knotted loop and beaded hedebro. Photos over at my blog. One of these days I’ll get over to Flickr and put them up there, too. 🙂 I hope I find time for this week’s stitch. It’s so beautiful!

2. vivian says:

This stitched was easy … I remember it on my grandmother’s hankies … minus the beads. Thanks Sharon!

3. Walden says:

Cutting it close, but I finished week three. I think I am the only one who didn’t enjoy this stitch. I just couldn’t get it to look as clean as I wanted.

4. Liz Ozselcuk says:

Here we go, complete with graphed doodles: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37200176@N07/

5. neki rivera says:

oops! forgot to leave a message.this one i really liked, thank you!
    check out my stitching

6. Penny says:

hmm this is on my blog, I did some variations that were not quite right but finally in the last two bits of the last piece I stitched got it right according to Doreen.
    A lovely stitch to know.

7. riddhi says:

hi Sharon,
    just added my sample for Beaded hedebo ….

from the next one ie week 4 , i plan to do the border in TAST 1 week 4, and numeral in TAST2 week 4….it is becoz i did not take part in TAST 1.
    Sounds interesting na? it will build up my Stitch library.
    BIG THANK U 2 U !!!!!!!!!

8. Doreen G says:

Hi Sharon
    I have finished my sample for Beaded Hedebo Edge -another good one to stitch.
    Doreen G

9. Dakotah says:

Thanks for the tutorial! I looked at this stitch before but couldn’t follow the other person’s instructions. Thanks for the step-by-step. I’ll try to post a photo of my hedebo work.

10. I’ve finally catch up :-).
    Haven’t experiment with them… yet . But for now just
    practice them and had fun in doing so !
    Thanks for hosting this TAST2 !
    You can see my practice stitches half way on this post:

11. It is SO good to have a reason to try new stitches. Thanks Sharon. I have posted this weeks stitch sample to by blog http://www.carorose.typepad.com and to the Flickr group.

12. Cindy B says:

My stitch samples are on the flickr group.

13. Sue McB says:

I really liked this one, which is something for me as I usually avoid beads…Picture on Flickr and my blog. Thanks Sharon.

14. Maureen Bond says:

I have posted this weeks stitches to links below. There are details on my WordPress blog.

Do I love this stitch? I most surely do.

15. smg1955 says:

Hi Sharon, my picture post is up on flickr. Beaded Hedebo Edge was a lot of fun. A very useful stitch to know.

16. Sherry says:

Great stitch, Sharon! I’m playing "catch up" with the TAST after just getting back from vacation. I’ve posted pictures of my exploration of Week 1 – Diamond Stitch in my blog http://www.timeforstitching.blogspot.com/ and on my Flicker site.http://www.flickr.com/photos/creativelady/ as well as the TAST group. I will catch up on the other stitches by the end of the weekend and will add them as have them done. I plan to use each month’s stiches in a crazy quilt piece at the end of that month, adding secondary stitches and embellishers. I’ll post that then.

17. anaslua2010 says:

I am stitching with much pleasure. You can see the result in my photos of stitching fingers (Anneliese Perinic) or on my photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/stitchinwoman

18. kay susan says:

Hi Sharon,

I like this stitch! My workout for it is on my blog
    its:

19. Sonie says:

Hello Sharon,
    Finished with my trials and thanks for all the efforts you take to introduce every Tuesday a new stitch…….I sincerely admire your work.

I posted my attempts at the Beaded Hedebo Stitch on my blogsite http://shirleystwistedthreads.blogspot.com/.
    Sorry still haven’t worked out how to do this link again.

Enjoyed working this after a bit of trial and error, but did not get the tensions right. Looking forward to next week.

21. smg 1955 says:

A very pretty stitch . Thank you for choosing this Sharon or it might have been a while before I actually tried it. I have purchased stitch books but find that I still stay with safe favorites most of the time. Taking on TAST 2 is actually making me expand my stitch repertoire.

22. Sandy Jandik says:

I did the stitch and posted it and last week’s on my blog this morning. http://focus-on-fiber.blogspot.com Thanks for showing them to us. I love to collect stitches.

23. viji says:

This is my 2nd trial.
    viji

24. veena says:

hi sharon
    thank you so much for teaching us this beautiful edging…have uploaded the pictures in my blog. i think i have to try some more possibilities, must be next week:-)

25. viji says:

I had given a trial and posted at the flickr TAST site.
    viji

26. Amber King says:

I added my post for this week…well 1/2 of it. Pictures of weeks 1-3 coming tomorrow! 🙂

27. Ptcruz says:

Solo queria decirte que este es el que me resulta más fácil de los tres que llevamos. Me gustaría tener tu correo para poder mandarte una foto de cada puntada cómo me ha salido, pero no lo encuentro por ningún sitio.

Si puedes pásate por mi blog (http://ptcruz-puntadaapuntada.blogspot.com) o mándame un correo a bpn000@gmail.com y así mandarte las fotos

muchas gracias por enseñarnos tanta maravilla. Bss

28. Riddhi says:

hi Sharon,
    i would like to echo what ever bwilliams has written above.
    your site is like an encylopedia for me. i have started following it since 2 months now. its the homepage for my browserand every morning i wait to see what is new post. Thank you so much…it really builds my interest even more now.THANK YOU

29. ansu chennai says:

a must try stitch

30. Debi Minter says:

I LOVE this stitch! Thank you so much for your WONDERFUL step by step instructions on this site. I’ve learned SO much in the past couple of weeks. HuGGs! Debi

Thank you Sharon for your comment at my blog. I had a great time exploring the first 2 stitches. My first experiments with the beaded Hedebo edge are at my blog.

32. Sharon B says:

bwilliams
    thanks for such a nice note I appreciate it when people who normally are readers take the time to leave a comment.It is nice to know you enjoy the site.

33. viji says:

wow!!
    Nice stitch.
    Let me try it.
    viji

34. bwilliams says:

I have been perusing you site for quite a while and just began to feel guilty for not letting you know how much I enjoy seeing all the diverse ways you manipulate stitches. You site is very inspiring indeed. Some day I hope to have time to try every single stitch. Until then, I will simply enjoy your handiwork! Thanks for taking the time to share with all your loyal readers!