Sword Stitch Tutorial

Sword stitch is a simple easy stitch to work which is classified as an isolated stitch. Its simplicity means your experiments can take you in different directions. Obviously you can work Sword stitch as an isolated stitch but arranging it in patterns or lines can take the stitch off in anther design direction entirely. You can flip them and worked them back to back or double and layer them.

You can work Sword stitch in a circle to create ‘flower’ or marine life type shapes and motifs or work the cross with a bead threaded in the last part of the stitch.  You can also mix your threads while working Sword stitch creating interesting contrasts of colour and texture in the process. Its very simplicity of Sword stitch enables much and you are only limited by your imagination.

How to work Sword Stitch

How to work sword stitch tutorial step 1

Bring your thread from the back of the fabric and insert your needle at A and bring your needle out at B.

How to work sword stitch tutorial step 2

Pull your needle through to make a diagonal stitch. Keep your thread loose.

How to work sword stitch tutorial step 3Slide your needle under the loop and take it through. You do not take your needle through the fabric

How to work sword stitch tutorial step 4Insert your needle at C and take your needle through the fabric to complete the stitch

How to work sword stitch tutorial step 5As you can see sword stitch is simple but has many possibilities!

Follow Pintangle and have it delivered to your inbox

You can have Pintangle delivered to your inbox by using the ‘follow’ feature in the sidebar. Just enter your email address, and when you get the confirmation email make sure you click ‘yes’ and you are all set! If you are on a mobile or tablet you will need to scroll to the bottom to find the ‘follow’ feature.

Have you seen my book?

holding my book in front of quilt

My book The Visual Guide to Crazy Quilting Design: Simple Stitches, Stunning Results shares detailed practical methods on how to design and make a crazy quilt. Topics such as fabric choice, tricky challenges like balancing colour, texture and pattern, and how to create movement to direct your viewer’s eye around the block are covered in detail. I also explain how to stitch and build decorative seam treatments in interesting and creative ways. My book is profusely illustrated as my aim is to be practical and inspiring.

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Sword Stitch Tutorial

1. Hi
    I incorporated the sword stitch into my bead journal project for November. I really like this stitch and will definitely be using it again. You can see it on my blog here

2. chitra gangadharan says:

I enjoyed trying this stitch, and I have posted it on my blog-http://jizee6687.wordpress.com/2010/08/12/tast-2010-17-sword-stitch/
    My fickr page-http://www.flickr.com/photos/22818176@N07/4885902546/

3. umasrinivasan says:

I have posted the trials of Sword stitch in my blog and Flickr group.

4. My sword Stitch and Wave stitch are on my blog at: http://shirleystwistedthreads.blogspot.com
    Had some fun with both of these.

5. Liz Ozselcuk says:

I had a much better time with this simple stitch than I anticipated:

6. libbyquilter says:

had a difficult time being inspired by this one but i gave it my best shot.

7. Thank you very much Sharon..it is so nice to hear from you..you made my day too…really while stitching the sword stitch I remember all the good time I spend learning with mom..if there were no repair work at home I could have made some more better patterns..

thanks a lott..

8. Here is my experiments with Sword stitch. I think I like it best as a filler stitch.http://carorose.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/06/tast-2010—week-17—sword-stitch.html

9. Doreen G says:

Hi Sharon I have done my Sword Stitch sample and it is on my blog but I wouldn’t waste your time checking it out because it isn’t one of my best.
    Go pull some weeds out of the garden instead at least it will give you a small amount of pleasure.
    Regards Doreen

10. brigitte68 says:

I am early too!!! you can see my trial on Flickr taste site!

11. SUMMER says:

I am catching up slowly but surely..having a blast with all these stitches…I thought I might be too set in my ways to learn something new but I am learning. Thanks Sharon.

12. Penny says:

I tried to turn my sword stitch into a dandelion seed head, not terribly successfully I am afraid. Penny

13. neki rivera says:

i’m early!!! now let’s not get used to it 🙂
    please check my sword stitch at http://amovablefeast.blogspot.com

14. Sandy Jandik says:

I created texture by overlapping the sword stitch. It’s shown on my blog http://focus-on-fiber.blogspot.com

15. Julia says:

Stitching along at a snail’s pace, I’ve finally posted my Fly Stitches from TAST 1 Week 8: