Crazy Quilt Seam Detail 550 and 551

Crazy quilt block 84

I have another 2 embellished seams to share with you today as I would like to have all the articles about the hand embroidered detail on block 84 completed by Christmas so I can start the New year with block 85. Let me know if you like the slightly faster pace of publication. I slowed it right down a good year or so ago as I had feed back that it was a bit to much. I have not minded as I have not had to think too much about what to write but I do wonder if people would like a little more a little more often!

Anyway these 2 details I think are one of my favourites in the whole quilt. The first is a line of herringbone worked along the seam in perle #5 cotton.  I then added seed and bugle beads.

Seam embroidery on crazy quilt block

The next seam decoration was a mistake! I was working Alternating bullion buttonhole which is a version of alternating buttonhole where the arms that alternate are bullion stitches. You can take a look at bullion buttonhole here. I was aiming for an alternating feather stitch like version but started working my bullions away from the center line rather than pointing my needle to the middle. This meant that the thread half wrapped itself around the bullion producing an extra loop. I realised within a few stitches what I had done but kept going as I liked it.

seam embroidery on crazy quilt block

I dropped button box quiltThis article is part of a series that highlight the hand embroidered seams and details on my crazy quilt called I dropped the button box. Each block on this quilt has a free pattern which  are listed on the CQ details FAQ page.

Subscribe to Pintangle and never miss a post

You can have Pintangle delivered to your inbox by using the subscribe feature in the sidebar.

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Crazy Quilt Seam Detail 550 and 551

1. Margie Yamane says:

Can you send me directions for your alternating bullion buttonhole stitch? I’m having problems alternating the other direction.

2. Barbara Mleynek says:

Currant speed is just right for me, & enjoying every minute of it.

3. Marie says:

For a mistake that sure turned out beautifully!! And such a lovely colour palette too.

4. Rita Scholey says:

I like the slower pace. It gives me time to go back to the page more than once before a new one is posted.

5. sharonb says:

Thanks for the compliments about my ‘mistake’. It is how stitches are invented but I am sure it is not not new as very few stitches are.

6. Odarka says:

Oops… Forgot to mention, you can put as much or,as,little as you,want in your posts. I’m good either way. Thank you for your site!

7. Odarka says:

Love the stitches too! Love the colours in this block! Beautifully done.

8. Allyson Merryweather says:

That way new stitches are invented? 🙂

I always enjoy your posts about this pretty quilt, although I don’t comment on it often. Detail 551 made me smile, it’s a lovely variation on the alternating bullion buttonhole! It reminds me of your pretty stitches with bullion and chain stitch (I think that’s how you make them).

I like your version of alternating bullion buttonhole .it is lovely.
    Chitra

11. Andy Lloyd Williams says:

I love the “alternating bullion/feather” stitch – so effective and such a pretty shaded thread too. Definitely one to keep for reference. Many thanks, Sharon.

12. Renee says:

Ooh! I love the bullion buttonhole stitch. At first glance, I thought they were detached chain stitches around the bullions, then I read how you created these. Beautiful (as always)!

13. JoWynn says:

If you do something unexpected once, it’s a mistake. If you keep repeating it, you have an innovation. Lovely. I don’t have a preference about speeding up. Either pace is fine with me.