Today I have a detail from section 50 on my Love of Stitching Band Sampler. If you click on the thumbnail you can read about this section of the embroidery sampler and how I pieced together different fabrics as a foundation cloth.
This detail is illustrates an number of canvas work stitches used on Aida. There are a mix of threads both hand dyed and commercial in different fibers. In this area I used stranded cotton floss, cotton #8 Perle and cotton #5 perle, silk and wool. I used mostly straight stitches worked in a similar manner to Bargello and I added some eyelets and Rhodes stitch.
As I stitched the news was full of reports about the oil spill in the gulf of Mexico. So another piece of journalling appeared as I added a note about it.
This section of the sampler was worked between March and May 2010.
This area is a section in my Love of Stitching Band Sampler which is 15 cm (6 inches) wide and currently measures 96 feet 5 inches (2,938.78 centimetres), or 32.138 yards which is 29.3878 meters. It is still growing…
Here I am, sitting in my twirly chair waving to all four corners of the globe with my own mini challenge work in progress report. This week I started working on the large outer wrap of the sewing caddy hussif. It is enjoyable to settle to larger piece after working the the fiddly pockets. I have started to embroider a few sections but as yet have not added beads to them.
To be honest I managed only a small bit of stitching this week as I am working on writing a book and my head has been La-La book land and its turned my brain to mush. Now I know talking about LA-LA book mush brain is probably not a good thing write about when describing writing a book but that is the truth of it.
Anyway here I am sharing my stitching progress as promised and I hope folks find watching the process interesting. The branch of flowers is created by using a perle #5 cotton in up and down feather buttonhole which was a Take a Stitch Tuesday (TAST) challenge stitch. Follow the link if you want to know how to work it.
The roses are created in hand dyed variegated perle # 5 cotton using another TAST stitch called Raised Cross stitch flower. These are quick effective and easy to do.
The next little motif is a spray. I marked out the stems using my Crazy Quilting Templates and then stitched the lines in stem stitch. The silk ribbon flowers and leafs are both created in leaf stitch.
They need to have beads added yet. I always work most of my embroidery first then add the beads later otherwise I have the constant frustration of catching my working thread on beads and buttons! It means things always look half done until the end when there is a flourish of beading and its done!
What have you done this week towards your stitching goals?
Leave a comment and let us know.
As a side note for those interested in the mini challenge:
Last week I posted instructions for 2 stitches so this week is time to work them and catch up if you need the time. People drop away when there is too many stitches and they feel they can’t keep up so as promised this week is time to catch up. I don’t want TAST to become a to do list but rather I hope my readers can use it as than a space for experimentation and creative skill development.
The Crazy Quilt details series of articles each highlight the hand embroidered seams and embellishments on the blocks that make up my crazy quilt I dropped the button box. I hope the eye candy and details give you ideas fro your own crazy quilting projects. For a free pattern of the block and information about the fabrics I used when I made up the block click on the block thumbnail.
This hand embroidered detail is a seam on block 78 . I first attached some hand dyed green lace then embroidered French knots using a wool thread. I then added the heart shaped beads along the edge