Barb Stitch and Beaded Barb stitch tutorial

Barb stitch is a composite stitch which is part of the buttonhole family.  It is another simple stitch that is easy to work yet versatile enough to create lots of variations. Barb stitch creates a line with a ridge down the center. You can work Barb stitch in a single line straight or on a curve. When worked in curve, in an irregular manner it looks very organic which means it is good for twiggy bits incorporated in a floral motif.

Or if you work Barb stitch in a straight line you can vary the height of the arms to create huge variety of patterns. Another method is to repeat rows to create a border. Different arrangements of the rows can build up interlocking patterns to create interesting needlework fillings.

How to work Barb stitch

You need to know how to work buttonhole stitch to work barb stitch as is consists of two foundation rows of buttonhole worked back to back. These are then whipped with a second thread.

Barb Stitch step 1First work a row of buttonhole stitch.

Barb Stitch step2Turn your work and work a second row of buttonhole stitch so that the two rows are back to back.

With a second thread, using a blunt-ended tapestry needle, so that the foundation threads do not split whip the lines of buttonhole stitches. Slide the needle under each loop at the base of the buttonhole whip two rows of buttonhole together as illustrated.

Barb Stitch step 3Continue the length of the line.

Barb Stitch step 4The threads I used in the sample is cotton perle #5 but you can whip in a contrasting colour, texture or thickness to the thread used for the foundation rows. Metallic yarns can create a rich effect. You can use the buttonhole rows to couch down ribbons or textured novelty yarns.

How to work Beaded Barb Stitch

With this stitch the beading is done during the stitching process not added afterward. The trick is use a size 26 tapestry needle. Since the eye of a tapestry needle is long you can thread perle #8 and Perle #5 through the long eye. However the needle itself is thin which means you can add a bead to your working thread as you stitch.

Work two rows of buttonhole stitch back to back as you would with regular barb stitch.

Beaded Barb Stitch step 1With a second thread, using a #26 tapestry needle, so that you can thread a bead on your working thread slide the needle under loop at the base of the buttonhole to whip the two rows together. Whip the first stitch then add a bead to your working thread before whipping the second stitch. Continue down the line and whip every second stitch with a bead on your thread as illustrated.

Beaded Barb Stitch step 2Both versions are a very easy and quick to work I hope you enjoy the stitch!

Tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Barb Stitch and Beaded Barb stitch tutorial

the details of beaded barb stitch sampler are on my blog-
    Chitra

2. Yvette says:

happy holydays Sharon! ( after stitch 140)

as always THANKS

great to see an easy stitch, I really needed that after beaded knotted buttonhole band! I started my sampler here-
    I enjoy working on TAST challenge, I wanted to record this, if you are counting the interest for this challenge to continue the TAST next year.
    Chitra

4. Carol Harper says:

My Barb and Beaded BArd stitches are here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/thatyank/thatyank%20siggies/Blog%20photos%20from%20Multiply/November%202014/138and139-BarbandBeadedBarbstitches.jpg

And *I* will have interest if you want to continue TAST. And I relly like the idea of challenges during hiatus!

5. Nicky L says:

This is a fun one! Thank you, Sharon. Here is a link to mine. I had company so I am a little late posting.

6. Andy Lloyd Williams says:

Sharon – I love this barbed buttonhole stitch. I have all your stitches in an email folder – at the ready! Thank you so much for such inspiration and for all the time and expertise you give us.

7. Michelle says:

I look forward to each Tuesday you post a new stitch-the beaded versions are very helpful and give me lots of creative ideas for embellishing my needle keepers. I have some on my etsy shop-Handmade Vintage Heart. Although I have sold some at craft shows lately. Anyways, I wanted to let you know of my continued interest in TAST.
    Thanks,
    Michelle

8. Linda Calverley says:

This is my sample of tast 134 plus a link to my new handmade book which has quite a few tast stitches in it.

9. Angela says:

Thanks for TAST Sharon. I look forward to it every week! I am hoping that I can find the time in Dec. to explore the stitches further. Will you open up a blog post so that we can share our explorations? http://princessbubblescreates.blogspot.ca/

Hi Angela – I had not thought to do so – but I can if people want it – I will do it for the first week off and see if folks use it (otherwise it can look a little silly)

10. Bev says:

Sharon, I for one would love to thank you for the thousands of hours you have spent promoting and encouraging the art of stitching. You are such a valuable resource. I remember years ago stumbling upon your site and being stunned by the beauty of your encrusted crazy quilting. That prompted me to begin my own journey into the art of crazy quilting. I thank you, thank you for bringing me such pure JOY!

Bev in Utah

Thanks Bev that is lovely to know – I will take a little break from TAST – and probably start up again. I will see how next year goes as I wnat to finish a boook on crazy quilting.

11. kristie Watson says:

This is a great one for thick threads and beads . Thanks Sharon!

HUGS Kristie

12. Ruth M says:

Though you didn’t ask for “votes,” if you did, I would vote for TAST stitches to continue. I always learn something, and gets new ideas, too. I can appreciate that you are ready to move on to new projects–but hope that these little bits of inspiration will continue in some format.

Thank you for all you do for us!

13. PJ in Texas, USA says:

Sharon, again you have opened up more stitch ideas for me! I will never look at buttonhole stitches quite the same way in the future.

14. Anneliese says:

I hardly could await the next stitches – thank you, dear Sharon!