If you are looking for stitch tutorials Check my Stitch Dictionary first.
Tutorials and Resources for hand embroiderers.
What hand embroidery supplies do I need? A comprehensive article explaining what you need to start out.
How to bind and use an embroidery hoop This article covers not only binding a hoop but, what size to use and how to tension it for surface embroidery.
12 Surface Stitches for Beginners This is a direct PDF download You need Acrobat reader to read it.
Tutorials and Resources for crazy quilters.
A tutorial on how to work decorative crazy quilt seams this is a comprehensive tutorial that I converted to a pdf file (a link to the download is in the article) When I converted it I realised how comprehensive it was. At 19 pages of information it is a resource worth investigating!
For free crazy quilt block patterns visit the CQ Details FAQ which houses links to series of articles.
- Assembling a crazy quilt part 1 – Trimming the blocks, joining and a construction technique that means the seams sit flat.
- Assembling a crazy quilt part 2 – Working in Sections
- Assembling a crazy quilt part 3 – Tying the quilt sandwich with no stitches visible from the front and adding a border
- Assembling a crazy quilt part 4 – Adding a false back
- Assembling a crazy quilt part 5 – Catching the false back and binding.
Studio Journalling Tutorials
- From Studio Journal Design to Embroidery: A file cover part 1
- From Studio Journal Design to Embroidery: A file cover part 2
- From Studio Journal Design to Embroidery: A file cover part 3
- From Studio Journal Design to Embroidery: A File cover part 4
How to make fabric from scrap thread (what I did with the contents of my Orts Jar)
Have you seen my books?
My book The Visual Guide to Crazy Quilting Design: Simple Stitches, Stunning Results shares practical methods about how to design and make a crazy quilt. I teach you how to balance colour, texture and pattern, in order direct the viewers eye around a crazy quilted project. I show you how to build decorative seam treatments in interesting and creative ways using a handful of stitches. My book is profusely illustrated as my aim is to be both practical and inspiring.
Creative Stitches for Contemporary Embroidery
Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned embroiderer, my book Creative Stitches for Contemporary Embroidery: Visual Guide to 120 Essential Stitches for Stunning Designs gives you techniques to encourage a fresh and creative embroidery style. Discover play points in your embroidery. Explore variations in height and width, stacking stitches, or using repetitions of the same stitch to create areas of texture and shape. All these techniques and more will give you creative variations. I have included numerous demonstrations of small tweaks that create big effects to send you down your own creative path.