I am running late this morning as I had myself beautifully side tracked but here is my weekly WISP report.
These strips of crazy quilting I started as a sort of band sampler only a crazy quilted band sampler. I am not sure if they are going to continue as such, as they may evolve into something else but either way I want them to develop into something! The only way they will is to stitch them. They are long thin, 6 inches wide and handy to cart around for teaching purposes. They are also the space where I try out odd things, demonstrate odd techniques and generally faff around. I have a number of them in the partly stitched phase. I thought I should finish off some so this is the first one.
Probably the experiment people will be most interested in is the praying mantis. I saw a pattern in Inspirations magazine 36 (page 63). I did not have a single thread that was recommended so I decided to adjust the design accordingly. In the end it ended up that I pretty well re-designed it!
I thought you might like to see the journal page I did associated with it. The first thing I did was to go online and look ant photos of praying mantis. I found one photo that made the beastie look too fat and another that made the poor thing look to thin and evil looking. One had a long wing the other had a shorter wing. I decided that obviously different types of praying mantis have different proportions so that a little artistic license was not going to ruin my praying mantis. The key photos I was going to use as a reference for both shape and colour I printed out and put in my visual journal.
Next I made my thread choices and made a note next to thread samples. As I stitched I noted what stitches I used and a photo of the final beastie was included on the page. I also made notes for improving him. I think he is too large and I think next time I would angle the body higher so he looks like he is sitting up looking at you more.