How to do tambour beading

This video demonstrates how to do tambour beading, a technique used in French haute couture embroidery in Paris.

This method looks easier as the beads are worked on the front of the fabric but the principal is the same.

I think I am off to order a tambour hook, and what ever else I need to give this type of beading a try.

11 Responses to How to do tambour beading

1. Gracie says:

What an interested way to bead/stitch. Thank you for sharing. I must try this!

2. Tessa says:

Do let us know how you fare with your Tambour embroidery! I've been so tempted to take Prof. Haven's Master Class in Kentucky-maybe once I retire.

3. Linda says:

I have several books on tambour beading but have never seen it. Now I must try it. The first video shows a much smaller and finer made hook which seems to go smoothly through the fabric. The second video shows a large hook that seems to catch the fabric and make big holes. Very interesting. Thanks so much.

4. It takes practise. I got my hooks from Country Bumpkin on-line store and had some lessons from some very kind ladies in France. I just wanted to learn the embroidery part, not the beading. It took a number of months to get the action right. You just have to keep at it.

5. Sharon B says:

Carolyn thanks for the warning about having to practice. I had a hunch it would be like that but hopefully I have what ever it takes to persist.

6. Mary says:

I have seen this tool in some of my mother's sewing items I now have, and didn't know what if was used for. I'll have to find it and give it a try. I enjoy adding to my knowledge of hand embroidery.

Mary

7. kbsalazar says:

One caution – while this method is quite quick to complete by comparison to other methods of applying beads, it's also more vulnerable than using individual stitches. One snag or thread break, and the whole chained row of beads or sequins pulls out like a row of crochet.

If you do this, make sure you're using a particularly break-resistant thread, or go back later and add a couple of reinforcement points so that long runs are not easily lost – especially in high wear areas.

- K. (who has seen fountains of sequins shed from a single thread snap)

8. Robin Berry says:

2 things to remember – drum tight – this term came from tambour drum fabric holders – do make your fabric drum tight
    next – notice using a sheer or semi sheer fabric – you can do other but you will need lots of practice. Sheers don't take the pull of drum tight as well – you can tack (well) the sheer to muslin – pull them both then remove the muslin from the working area
    hope this helps
    - Robin/Sabrina

9. Pam Kellogg says:

Thanks Sharon! I've been interested in trying this for some time. I'll be ordering my Tambour hook and other supplies shortly. I adore sequins (all that glitters is gold to me) so this will give my CQ work a lot of new sparkle! Pam

10. Elizabeth says:

Did a a one day course with Prf Haven in the summer at RSN , Tip, to stop the chain from unraveling you need to make it secure with a translucent glue on the back of your bead work when you have finished your project and it is still on the frame such as wheat starch etc

11. Barry Coidan says:

I've just hit on your blog.

My wife's a tambour beader in the UK.

You might like to see how we across the pond interpret the work of our French cousins!