Take a Stitch Tuesday 95 and 96 Linked chain and Beaded Link Chain Stitch

This week I will start the year off with a bang and show you how to work 2 stitches. The first Linked chain stitch is a version of chain stitch found in older embroidery books and the second is the beaded version. I could have held over one until next week but I think it is easier to see how they work when you see them side by side.

Linked chain is an interesting linear stitch which produces a thick line that follows a curve well. You can use it wherever a strong line is needed or if you want to outline an area. The beaded version is particularly nice. This year I hope to introduce a lot more beaded stitches that can be used on fabric or combined with other embroidery techniques.

You need to know how to work basic chain stitch and these instructions are worked using cotton perle #5 thread

How to work Linked Chain stitch

Linked chain stitch is worked from top to bottom

Linked Chain stitch step 1Begin by making a slightly long chain stitch.

Linked Chain stitchTurn your needle and make a back stitch so that the needle tip emerges from the middle of the first chain, as illustrated in the photograph.

Linked Chain stitch 3Pull your thread through so that it is now emerging from the middle of the first chain stitch.

Linked Chain stitch 4Insert you needle where the thread emerges and make another chain stitch.

Linked Chain stitch 5Continue making stitches in this forward and back motion down the line.

Linked Chain stitch 6When you each the end you will need to make a small, extra straight stitch to finish the line neatly.

Linked Chain stitch 7

How to work Beaded Linked Chain stitch

Now the beaded version is very exciting but follow this tip!

In order to work this stitch use a size 26 tapestry needle. Since the eye of a tapestry needle is long you can thread perle #8 and Perle #5 through the long eye. However the needle itself is thin which means you can add a bead to your working thread as you stitch. The Beading is not done afterwards but during the stitching process.

As with Linked chain stitch the beaded version is worked from top to bottom

Beaded Linked Chain stitch 1Begin by making a slightly long chain stitch. Keep it loose and don’t pull too tight as you want the bead to sit between the chain.  Thread a bead on to your working thread and push it near your work as I have illustrated.

Beaded Linked Chain stitch step 2Turn your needle and make a back stitch so that the needle tip emerges in the middle of the first chain as illustrated in the photograph. Push the bead into position.

Beaded Linked Chain stitch 3Pull your thread through so that it is now emerging from the middle of the first chain stitch as you would with regular Linked chain stitch.

Beaded Linked Chain stitch 4Insert you needle where the thread emerges and make another chain stitch as illustrated.

Beaded Linked Chain stitch 5Continue making stitches in this forward and back motion down the line adding beads to the back stitch.

As you can see you end up with a thick line of chain stitches with a line of beads stitched down the middle! It is a really versatile beaded stitch as you it will follow a curved line with ease. You can work it in circles to create patterns or freeform ‘scribbles’ that have that little extra sparkle.  Have fun with it  and not difficult if you use the needle I recommended.

Like it? Once you have worked a sample,  photograph it and put it online at your blog, flickr etc then swing back to the Last TAST post (you will find it under the category each week)   and leave a comment.

Don’t want to miss our on any of the TAST stitches this year?

Subscribe to Pin Tangle by Email and have it delivered to your In Box. Follow the link to sign up. You do NOT have to be stitching along to take advantage of this service.

Tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Take a Stitch Tuesday 95 and 96 Linked chain and Beaded Link Chain Stitch

1. Volkstein A says:

THANKS A LOT FOR THESE TWO STITCHES. I ‘LLTRY THEM TOMORRROW !
    ANNA

2. What great stitches to start the year with. They seem easy to do but result in a complex looking braid.

3. vijayalakshmi says:

wow nice Let me try too.
    viji

4. Its a great stitch.Soon let me post my trial at my blog. Thankyou dear.
    viji

Nice stitches to start TAST-ing again!

6. Linda says:

I am working on our crazy quilt project for our wool club. This is the perfect stitch to add to one of the seams. Thanks.

7. Barbara Mleynek says:

This is going on my next CQ block. I love it! Glad to know more beading is comming.

8. HI Sharon,
    I have joined the 100 details challenge on stitchin fingers . it started yesterday. I planning to do at my own pace.
    Chitra

9. Carol Harper says:

These look like I tried to curve them but actually, the fabric had a slight curve in the frame… But I like the look: http://210920746822434353.weebly.com/1/post/2014/01/2014-staying-connected-week-three.html

10. Angela says:

Thanks Sharon. I really like learning the new stitches. I tried the Chain stitch this week and will try the beaded stitch next week. http://princessbubblescreates.blogspot.ca/

11. maggie says:

Gosh, that’s an awesome tutorial!! Thanks a lot!!

12. Maureen Bond says:

The stitch looks good, without and with the bead. I’ll try it later today.

13. Carla Fiedler says:

Thanks for the tutorial; the beaded version may find itself on a smocked Easter ornament being planned…

A simple stitch, makes a lovely outline, it was interesting to work this stitch zigzag.

Chitra

I enjoyed experimenting with the linked chain stitch, next week I try the beaded linked chain stitch. I wrote about my experiments on my blog (with some step by step photo’s of my trials with the open chain stitch):

16. JoWynn Johns says:

I have just posted my example of the beaded linked chain stitch on my blog at http://jowynnjohns.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/re-set/

It’s been a long time!

17. Renee says:

Sharon, thank you for introducing me to these stitches! I tend to use the chain stitch frequently, but I love the additional texture the linked chain adds. I cannot wait to get a size 26 Tapestry needle today so I can make the beaded linked chain stitch. (Who knew I would ever feel so excited about buying a needle – lol!)

Here is a link to my simple linked chain: http://monkeyandmutt.blogspot.com/2014/01/tast-95-linked-chain-stitch.html

18. Renee says:

I finally made my first beaded link chain stitch. It is definitely one I plan to use again in the future. Thank you for sharing it!

I have posted the beaded linked chain stitch sampler on my blog-

Chitra