2020 crazy quilt block 4

I have another block to share but before I do that ehe fun news is that I had a piece published in the C&T blog. 2020 Will Seem Like a Good Idea in Hindsight is lighthearted look at how I thought up the challenge. Check it out I think you will find it amusing. Hope it makes you smile anyway.

2020 crazy quilt block 4 by Sharon Boggon on Pintaangle.com Ok on with 2020 crazy quilt block 4. For those who have not encountered this challenge yet  the aim is stitch a crazy quilt using 2020 different items to mark the year 2020. You will find the guidelines, information and a list of free resources are here.  A photo of the finished block is above and the unembellished block is below.

2020 crazy quilt block 4 unembellishedAs you can see there are 5 pieces of fabric and and a lace doily which I hand dyed. Vintage lace was included as I pieced the block so that the ends were tucked inot the seams.

2020 crazy quilt block 4 patterm on Pintangle.comThe hexagon when finished and bound has 4 inch sides and is 8 inches from point to point across. Here is the pattern for those who want to use it.

Details on my 2020 crazy quilt block 4

2020 crazy quilt block 4 detailThe first photograph illustrates 2 details on the block. The first detail covers the seam of piece 4 and second sits in piece 1. Both these decorations are built on a foundation row of Feathered Up and Down Buttonhole stitch (counted on block 2)which I worked in a hand dyed silk buttonhole twist. This stitch is ideal for twiggy  organic lines. I got a bit carried away and used it to create a fan of lines which I then decorated in different ways. The blue thread was dyed in the same dye pot as the cotton doily on the block. These foundation rows of stitching were then further decorated with Cast on Stitch (counted on block 2) worked in hand dyed cotton perle #8. I added a seed bead in the middle of each circlet. The next line was decorated with bugle beads and seed beads. You can also see a small dragonfly bead stitched just above the spray.

2020 crazy quilt block 4 detailThe next line in the fan of Feathered up and down buttonhole stitches covers the seam between piece 1 and piece 2. Using a hand dyed cotton perle #5 I tucked two Bullion Knots (counted on block 1) between the forks. Between those I tucked two Straight stitches  (counted on block 1) using metallic Kreinik Fine Braid 9294.

In this photograph you can alos see how decorated the vintage lace. I threaded a hand dyed 4mm silk ribbon through the holes in the lace. I then added Fargo Roses (counted on block 3) worked in the same ribbon.

2020 crazy quilt block 4 detailThe last foundation row of Feathered Up and Down Buttonhole stitch is decorated with a series of leaves worked using Leaf stitch (not in the stitch dictionary but page 133 in my book)  using a greenish hand dyed 4mm silk ribbon the Fargo Roses (counted on block 3) worked in the same ribbon as I used to decorate the lace. The seam that runs up the side of piece 5 is decorated with Beaded buttonhole stitch which I decorated with cube shaped beads. The bow made of vintage rayon ribbon is secured first with very small stitches then some seed beads. I tucked a cluster of vintage buttons to one side and added the dragonfly below.

2020 crazy quilt block 4 detail

The doily was decorated with circular glass bead at the centre, 4 triangular beads (cheap plastic but worked) and 3 long ( approximately an inch) bugle beads. around the edge I added small metal flower like disks ( they are jewellery spacers) that are secured with a seed bead.

Count on 2020 crazy quilt block 4

Seed beads,  bugle beads are not counted

Fabric: 5
Lace and ribbon: 3 vintage lace,  doily and vintage rayon ribbon
Buttons: 5 Vintage buttons
Novelty beads: 5 cube shaped beads, circular glass bead,triangular beads, very long bugle beads, metal flower like disks
Charms: 2 dragonflies
Specialty threads: 6 hand dyed blue buttonhole silk twist, Metallic Kreinik Fine Braid 9294, 4mm hand dyed silk ribbon ( for the Fargo Roses) green/aqua 4mm silk ribbon(leaves)  hand dyed cotton perle #8, hand dyed cotton perle #5
Stitches: 2 new stitches Leaf stitch and Beaded buttonhole stitch

Total 28
Previous tally 92

Total of items to date 120

I hope you have enjoyed seeing what I have done on my 2020 crazy quilt block 4. Feel free to ask questions or simply leave a comment.

If you want to join the challenge the guidelines are here and the admins on the big Facebook groups Crazy Quilt Divas and Crazy Quilt International  are happy to see people share there work there. So follow the links and join the groups if you are Facebook person.  For those who have blogs you can leave your web address in the comments – each week as you progress. Instagram people can use #2020crazyquilt to share progress photos.

Have you seen my book?

holding my book in front of quilt

My book The Visual Guide to Crazy Quilting Design: Simple Stitches, Stunning Results  shares detailed practical methods about how to design and make a crazy quilt. From fabric choice, to balancing colour, texture and pattern, to direct the eye around the block.  I also cover how to stitch, build decorative seam treatments in interesting and creative ways. My book is profusely illustrated as my aim was to be practical and inspiring.

My Crazy quilters templates

My templates for crazy quilters aim to help you take your stitching to the next level. With my templates you are able to create hundreds of different hand embroidery patterns to embellish your seams  with flair. These templates are easy to use, made of clear plastic so you can position them easily and are compact in your sewing box.

using my Crazy Quilt Templates set 2These are simple to use. You simply position the template in place and use a quilter’s pencil to trace along the edge of the template. Stitch along this line to decorate the seam. I have a free ebook of patterns to accompany each set which illustrates how they can be used.

TO ORDER your Crazy Quilt Templates

Crazy Quilt Templates set 1 you will find here
Crazy Quilt Templates set 2 you will find here

SaveSave

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to 2020 crazy quilt block 4

1. Julie Beard says:

Hi Sharon, I am noticing that you put metallic/chrome jewellery bit on your crazy quilts. Are you ever worried about the metals tarnishing? I am planning to make a miniature crazy quilt to which I will be sending to USA! I am very unsure whether I should use any metals on the quilt. Can you give me some guidance here please.

HI Julie – I dont worry about metals tarnishing as I figure it would give a patina to the quilt. Also many metals are not actually metal but painted plastic – the paint is more likely to wear off – and that is another worry. So I dont fret – I have found over the years that there is always something to worry about so I decided to aim to make something that would be worth while to restore to some future owner – if something went wrong. I do my best and time can do its stuff.

2. Anne Tisell says:

Such a BEAUTIFUL block!

3. How different this looks from the previous block – love the fresh, and for a cq block, unusual colours.
    You have made great use of the floral print of that fabric.

4. Joan Flynn says:

Hi Sharon, I’m enjoying seeing your beautiful progress on the 2020 quilt. I’ve made a start – I’ve cut 8 hexi linings :). I’m hoping to do at least 1 a week , wishful thinking mayibe. Your lovely book arrived on Thursday and I devoured it in one sitting. Now to go back and really have a close look and learn lots of new things.

5. Rosemary Dempster says:

I keep on going back again and again to look at your blocks. Love them. Every time you show your latest, I think that is my favourite. They just get better and better!

6. Susanne E. says:

What a wonderful block! You are really a great artist with your needle and a great inspiration for me.

7. Vanessa says:

Thanks so much for sharing your blocks – there’s so much inspiration in each one! I especially like the ribbon woven through the lace and embellished with the roses on this one.

Your book is wonderful. I found the section on composition very enlightening, and look forward to improving my design abilities.

8. Ann Bernard says:

I love this one. The colours are beautiful. Congrats. Ann

9. Kimberley says:

Apologies if its an obvious answer, but not being that familiar with crazy quilting… Do you make the block and then attach it to a backing fabric before embroidering? I’m assuming that based on your unembellished photo. Just wondering how you’d get it into a hoop otherwise. :-). Looks great by the way!

10. Paula Beck says:

Sharon, Congratulations on a wonderful, fun article. Thank you also for your new book. It arrived last week! Can’t wait to get stitching.

11. Anneliese says:

Dear Sharon, I share with you the joy of the published article. Your work is so excellent and so pleasing.

12. Kat says:

Totally impressed with this block. Lovely configure of design and fabric selection.

13. I love your dragonfly charms. Sharon you are an inspiration. I have decided to join in the 2020 challenge. Now that the family reunion my husband and I hosted is over, I can start my first block.

Pleased you are joining in Kathy – people can join anytime as we have long enough lead up to 2020 -have fun with the challenge!

14. Barb, Ballwin, MO says:

I live in Missouri in the USA and Monday will be in the path of the total solar eclipse. Of course I will have to do a block that will celebrate the occasion and be a part of my 2020 wallhanging. I’m rather excited to see what my reaction/interpretation will be.

15. Bonnie murohy says:

Your blocks are so amazing. I envy your talent!! Thank u for sharing!!

16. Absolutely stunning work, Sharon!
    I love the cast on flowers, and how you tacked on the blue ribbon, very creative.
    Thanks for sharing!

17. Claregilliland@aol.com says:

What do use to back these and what kind of fabric do you use for binding. Do you bind it after embellishing?

18. Janet Armstrong says:

i am enjoying this so much, thanks for all you do, and share.

19. Jackie Lott says:

Prettiest yet.

20. Maureen T says:

I love this block! It is such a perfect little composition. What a lot of work. I am enjoying watching your process.
    Maureen

21. SheriR says:

You do such beautiful work and you make it look so simple. Do you fret over every seam like I do or is your inspiration free flowing?

Hi Sheri – no I dont fret as such but I do think about it – usually things move along Ok sometimes I get a bit stuck and I pin it to my wall and let it sit while and usually after a break I can see what I need to do.