What is TAST?
Take a Stitch Tuesday is a hand embroiderers challenge. The idea is to work as many of the stitches proposed in the challenge as you can. Each stitch is listed below and new one is announced most weeks on Tuesday. You can do 1 a month, 1 every 2 weeks or 1 a week. It is totally up to you. This challenge is guilt free and designed for busy people who want to build their hand embroidery skills.
If you are learning embroidery the challenge will be to learn the stitch. If you are experienced the challenge is to push the stitch creatively.
You can stitch on anything. There is no particular project. The idea is experiment with stitches. They can be small samples on scraps of fabric or doodle cloths. Some people make a band sampler, others a fabric book, some work the stitches on a crazy quilt block, while others make fabric postcards. The challenge is to work the stitch. The fabric you stitch on, the format you choose or project you make is totally up to you.
If you want to learn the basics of hand embroidery choose the first 20 stitches on the list below, and learn them. If you do this you will have achieved your goal. If you are interested ins exploring stitches TAST is ideal for you or you may like to explore my Stitch Dictionary
The TAST badge is stitched by Annet of Fat Quarter who has kindly allowed the use of her image as the TAST logo. You may use the badge on your blog (right click and save the image to your desktop)
How to join in
The challenge is for new hands to learn the stitch or if you are an experienced stitcher take the stitch and push it a little further in a creative manner. Be creative and share what you have done.
Where to Share
The whole point of this challenge is to share what you have learnt and done. Photograph your sample, put in online somewhere such as on your blog, flickr site, share it on facebook or where ever you hang out online, and leave a comment with your full web address so people can visit your page and see what you have done. In other words put your address in the comment and include the http:// bit as then it will become a live link. Make it easy for people to visit you.
Please link back to Pin Tangle.
Please if possible link back to Pintangle, and share news about TAST on your social networks so that people hear about the challenge.
All stitches are listed in my Stitch dictionary.
TAST Stitches by number
- Stitch 1: Fly Stitch
- Stitch 2: Buttonhole Stitch
- Stitch 3: Feather Stitch
- Stitch 4: Cretan Stitch
- Stitch 5: Herringbone Stitch
- Stitch 6: Chevron Stitch
- Stitch 7: Detached Chain Stitch
- Stitch 8: Chain Stitch
- Stitch 9: Couching
- Stitch 10: Running Stitch
- Stitch 11: Whipped Wheel
- Stitch 12: Barred Chain and Alternating barred chain
- Stitch 13: Satin Stitch
- Stitch 14: Stem Stitch
- Stitch 15 : French Knot
- Stitch 16: Wheatear stitch
- Stitch 17 : Crossed buttonhole
- Stitch 18: Half Chevron
- Stitch 19: Bullion Knot
- Stitch 20: Butterfly Chain
- Stitch 21: Knotted Cretan
- Stitch 22: Buttonhole Wheel
- Stitch 23: Cable Chain Stitch
- Stitch 24: Interlaced Cable Chain
- Stitch 25: Twisted Chain or Rope stitch
- Stitch 26: Arrow or Arrowhead stitch
- Stitch 27: Bonnet stitch
- Stitch 28: Vandyke Stitch
- Stitch 29: Barb Stitch
- Stitch 30: Long Tail Chain plain beaded and whipped
- Stitch 31: Fancy Bobbin Edging
- Stitch 32: Raised Cross Stitch Flower
- Stitch 33: Pekinese Stitch
- Stitch 34: Oyster Stitch
- Stitch 35: Threaded Cable Chain stitch
- Stitch 36: Linked Chain Stitch
- Stitch 37: Triangular buttonhole stitch
- Stitch 38:Cloud Filling stitch
- Stitch 39:Coral stitch
- Stitch 40: Shell Chain
- Stitch 41: Eastern Stitch
- Stitch 42: Fern Stitch
- Stitch 43: Buttonhole wheel cup
- Stitch 44: Crossed and Plaited Feather stitch
- Stitch 45: Portuguese Border Stitch
- Stitch 46: Berry Stitch
- Stitch 47: Chained Cross Stitch
- Stitch 48: Knotted Feather Stitch
- Stitch 49: Closed Base Needlewoven Picot and Open Base Needlewoven Picot
- Stitch 50: Looped Cretan Stitch
- Stitch 51: Buttonholed Herringbone
- Stitch 52: Sheaf stitch
- Stitch 53: Turkman Stitch
- Stitch 54
Also check out my stitch dictionary as there are many stitches to explore there as well