Knotted Feather Stitch

Knotted Feather Stitch is another versatile variation of feather stitch. If you have not worked Feather stitch before or a bit unsure you might want to refresh your memory on a fabric scrap using the tutorial on feather stitch .

I have seen this stitch referred to a thorn stitch (there are about 5 different stitches referred to as thorn stitch) and knotted chained feather. I found it listed in Edith John’s Creative stitches as Knotted Feather. Since this name made sense to me that is what I call it.

How to work Knotted Feather Stitch

Work this stitch from top to bottom. For beginners it is useful to imagine 4 parallel lines when working this stitch. You may find it useful to mark the fabric with guide-lines using a water dissolvable marker or fade out fabric marker otherwise practice the stitch on Aida cloth.

Knotted feather stitch step 1Bring the needle out at the top of the line to be worked and hold the thread down with the left thumb.

Insert the needle a little to the right on the same level and make a small stitch in a downward motion so that the needle point appears on the centre line, keeping the thread under the needle point pull the thread through the fabric to make the stitch.

Knotted feather stitch step 2Pass the needle under the thread, at the right side of the V shape. Do not pick up any fabric.

Wrap the thread under the needle point as you would if working a chain stitch.

Pull the needle under the foundation thread so that you are working a small chain stitch on the bar.

Knotted feather stitch step 3Next insert the needle to the right on the same level as the chain stitch you just made. Do this as you would with feather stitch.

Make a small V stitch so that the needle point comes out at the base on the centre line. Keeping the thread wrapped under the needle point, pull the thread through the fabric to make the stitch.

Pass the needle under the thread of the right side of the V shape. Do not pick up any fabric.

Knotted feather stitch step 4Wrap the thread under the needle point

Pull the needle under the foundation thread.

Knotted feather stitchSwing to the left and continue to work these movements alternatively.

The spacing between the arms and spine length can create ornate patterns and effects.

This stitch it is very effective worked in a  thread with firm twist such as DMC perle #5 or #8. To work this sample I used a hand dyed perle #5  multicolour thread.

A more decorative line can be created with the use of beads, or you can add an extra detached chain between the arms or at the top of each spine.

I think it is a variety that many crazy quilters will like as it is a quick stitch to work but a little bit different. Below is an example of Kotted Feather stitch used in crazy quilting. The thread is a hand dyed  perle #5 cotton. I added bugle beads after working the stitch.

Knotted feather stitch used in crazy quilting

Follow Pintangle and have it delivered to your inbox
You can have Pintangle delivered to your inbox by using the follow feature in the sidebar. Just enter your email address, and when you get the confirmation email make sure you say yes and you are all set!
If you are on a mobile or tablet you will need to scroll to the bottom to find the follow feature.

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Knotted Feather Stitch

1. Ash Zee says:

Thanks for posting this wonderful new stitch again today in the middle of your heavy schedule Sharon.Have a safe and a blessed trip .May the Lord’s blessings be with you all along! ! Ash*

2. Sue Jones says:

I’m not deliberately following TAST, but I happened to be stitch-doodling with knotted feather stitch this week. Photos of some variations on Flickr here:
    and also a chart of my favourite version. I hope this inspires others to experiment with these stitches.

Iam starting this year’s challenge. this stitch sampler is posted here.

4. Anna says:

Here is my Knotted feather stitch I like it very much!

5. crazypatch says:

Here is my sample for Knotted feather stitch.
    je suis très heureuse de recommencer cette année encore le Tast

6. My sample is on my blog and also a link to a finished project from last year, I had used many of the TAST stitches on it.

7. Hello everyone. Here is my example of the Knotted Feather Stitch.

Thank you, ?

My last TAST 2012 sampler is finished. I wrote about the details here:
    The finished sampler is here:

9. Susie Wolfe says:

Here is my Knotted Feather example …. the first for 2013. So glad to be back at it ….

10. susan mcgowan says:

Hi Sharon and TAST stitchers, TAST is a great motivator to pull out the threads again. I enjoy to see what everyone is doing with the stitches. I worked away from home this week and fiddling around with the knotted feather stitch was a great way to spend my off work time. Here is my little what you call it.

11. Isabelle says:

I whish you an happy new year.
    here is our attemps whith the new stitch, the first of this year

12. I am newcomer to TAST – thanks Sharon for organising! I had so much fun with this that I went a bit crazy….

I wrote about the detail on my last TAST 2012 sampler on my blog:
    The complete sampler is here:
    No it’s time to turn my samplers into a fabric book.

14. Laurel says:

Hi Sharon and Everyone! Happy to be TASTing again. Here’s my Knotted Feather stitch example:

15. Lee says:

This is my first TAST post. I enjoyed trying out this stitch. Thanks Sharon for your great site.
    Here is my Knotted Feather Stitch sampler…

16. Barbara/Hopscotch says:

A little watercolour doodle backed with felt.

17. Magical says:

I was very happy to see this start again, I have been planning on joining in for a while now but never got round to it so decided I’d start this year when you returned with the stitches 🙂

I haven’t done much but I’m planning on somehow making a picture using all the stitches we get this year, so want to keep some space for the rest 🙂

This weeks stitch I included in my IHSW report post: IHSW, TAST, and more

18. ValerieL says:

Thanks for starting this again. I’ve spent a lot of time after Christmas not doing any embroidery. I am glad to start back. You can see what I’ve done for this week’s stitch at
    Thanks again.

19. Luiz Vaz says:

Hi Sharon & Friends, Happy 2013!
    Eu estava com muitas saudades de vocês!
    My post for the nice stitch 49! I loved it!

20. Birgit says:

Dear Sharon,
    i love this stitch. Ich have try many threats.

21. Carol Harper says:

My knotted feather stitch can be seen here:

I enjoyed this one — found it surprisingly easy to do!

22. iHanna says:

So just to check, this is week 49 of 2012’s 52 stitches? I need to start again but now I feel a bit lost of the order we’re in… 🙂

Hanna you need to select what ever stitches you choose. Peopel choose to work a number of stitches in the year ie 10 or 20 or all its up to you how many and which ones.It means really busy peopel can join in too. Read the FAQ as it explains it better.

23. Here we are again, I so missed my TAST. This year is all about mini pin cushions.
    I blogged about it
    and put an image on the Flikr site.

24. Angela says:

Thanks Sharon! It is good to get stitching again!

I almost forgot to add the links to my latest TAST 2012 work. After the last stitch from 2012 I had some partial finished samplers left. I wrote about them here:
    and here:
    This weekend I finished my last sampler, I’ll share that in a few days.

26. Liz Eph says:

So glad you’re back. Looking forward to this year.K I had a go at using lots of stitches from this year, and Basque Stitch that I missed out on. xx Liz xx

27. Hi Sharon and everybody. A happy new year. I completed my little stitches’book with TAST 2012. Here is my last page with 51st week stitch, there a look on all the pages and if you want to have a look on the book, you can see it here
    During 2013, I’ll try to crazy quilt and I could probably use some of the new stitches you have in your magic box.

28. Hi Sharon, it’s nice to have you back. I have missed our Tuesdays and the new stitches you send us.

29. Susan says:

I like the look of that stitch, but I think I’m going to have to sit here and follow it with the needle and thread each step of the way to really understand how to do it. Thanks!