Work in Progress Wednesday : Catching the false back and binding

At a quarter to midnight last night I finished binding the quilt.

Last week I showed how I  was tying/quilting the crazy quilt and was ready  to attach a false back to hide the mess.

Over this week past, I caught the false back to the quilt sandwich at the point of each diamond and hid that point with a bead. Each point has one of these gold disks held on with a seed bead, the threads runs through the quilt to the back where it is secured with another seed bead.

This is the bead at the back as I am working it.

This is how it looks when done. as you can see the bead at the back catches the false back to the quilt sandwich.

Stitches are NOT seen from the front. As each stitch is hidden behind a bead or button.As you can see it looks quite neat

From here on most of the techniques used are standard quilting techniques. I have not fully described these as there is oodles of information out there on how to put a quilt together and bind it. The main difference with the way I put together a crazy quilt is that I herringbone flat the seams and have a false back. (I have explained this in weeks past. Links to these explanations are at the bottom of the post)

After stitching each point of all the diamonds I added the rod pocket. The rod pocket was stitched through the false back and the real back. Of course the rod pocket takes the weight of the quilt so it would be silly to just stitch it through just the false back.

I made two long pockets so that the weight was distributed evenly. I have taken this photo on the table so you can see what I mean. The rod will hang from three points. A point each side and a point in the middle. The rod pockets run the width of the quilt.

Once the rod pocket was attached I cut out the binding on the bias. I made this from the same fabric that I used along the inside edge of the border. I pieced it together in a long strip and then bound the quilt as you would a normal quilt. The top of the rod pocket is bound into the binding.

Since I finished the quilt late last night I don’t have any full shots but plan to get some taken at the Embroiderers Guild Show tomorrow. Since I am helping hang the exhibition I am sure no one will mind if I faff around with my camera a bit.

I am demonstrating at the Guild Exhibition:

For those who are local and interested in crazy quilting I will be at the exhibition demonstrating crazy quilting for anyone who is interested. I will be there Saturday morning so if you feel like some free tips look for me and feel free to say hello.

Until then I thought readers might enjoy some eye candy.

Diamond block crazy quilt

Here is the finished quilt click on the image and you will taken to larger photo. I hope you enjoy seeing it.

The back story

If you are interested in the back story of this quilt and seeing photos of each block as it was made browse the posts  in the Diamond block crazy quilt category

Posts on How to assemble a Crazy Quilt which include;

Online Crazy Quilting Classes:

Just a quick reminder for those who are interested in taking a class with me. You will find all my classes listed under the top tab imaginatively titled Classes online you will also find information on how online classes are run.

29 Responses to Work in Progress Wednesday : Catching the false back and binding

1. I really enjoy your blog and reading about this quilt. Thank you for sharing this with us.

2. Kristin Farwig says:

Hi Sharon,

Your tumbling blocks crazy quilt is a stunning beauty! Really gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

Kristin F. in SC

3. Jane O says:

The amount of work you put into it is amazing – congratulations on finishing the quilt, it is quite an achievement.

4. Joyce Boudreau says:

Sharon… the diamond project is spectacular! Please do allow me to add my appreciation to you for your generosity of sharing your work and instruction on the web. That is an amazing gift to stitcher wanna-bees. Sometimes we ‘look’ and ‘gain’ from others’ work, but forget to thank. Please be assured you are so appreciated!

5. Kimberly-Ann says:

Congratulations! Its strange to think its finished now!! Thanks for showing us all as you went – its great to see the progression and pour over the details as they come 🙂

6. Sandi A. says:

Sharon, Your quilt is absolutely stunning! What more can I say!! It is just amazing!

7. lovely — just lovely — thank-you for taking the time to explain the hows and decisions. I learn so much just reading along.

8. Cyndi L says:

Yay for you!! It’s gorgeous 🙂

9. dawn draper says:

That is just stunningly beautiful. I wish I were not halfway around the world, so that I could come to see it in person. Thanks again for sharing so many of your unique construction techniques here. Having your blog as a resource is making me think that maybe I could get through a project like this, too.

10. Maha says:

I am great fan of you Sharon.Whenever I have a doubt in my work I open your site for reference.I do some embroidery but only on dresses for my daughter.I dont do it on bed linens as I am from India it is not dust free like US.I am now in the US for my daughters second delivery and was going through yuor blog.What are the lessons you take in the online classes.Is it for begginers?
    Tell me more about it.
    Thanks
    Bye
    Mahalakshmi 🙂 my name is a little hard to pronounce for you RIGHT!

11. Doreen G says:

Wow Sharon -you can now come up for air.
    I can’t wait to see it tomorrow.

12. Kimara says:

I’ve been using your stitching guide forever, but this is the first time I’ve come to your blog… WOW… inspirational! Love your work, and thank you, thank you, thank you, for your stitch guide. I’ve linked to your stitching guide through Wee Folk Art’s FaceBook page. You’re the best!

13. Angela says:

Sharon
    Your work is exquisite! Absolutely stunning! You should be very proud of your accomplishments.
    warm regards
    Angela

14. coral-seas says:

Congratulations on finishing, Sharon. I think it is beautiful and is going to be greatly admired at the show. Thank you for sharing the journey with us, it has been a pleasure to watch first the individual blocks and then the creation of the quilt.

I hope the show is well attended and successful after everyones hard work.

15. Metanoia says:

Absolutely stunning and finished in the nick of time too. Well done. It looks stunning from where I’m standing

16. Debra says:

This is the first I have seen this and I love your blog. The quilt is beautiful and I wish you great success at the exhibition.
    Congratulations on finishing the quilt too.
    Now I will have to read back through the process.

17. Sharon B says:

Thanks everyone for your praise and comments. I must admit to enjoying them thoroughly.

Aida I use a cheapie digital camera but it has good lens. The camera is a Lumix and made by Panasonic. The lens is a Leica

18. ansu chennai says:

Congratulations Sharon.How i wish i could come to your show-but am far away in India. wishing the show A Great Success
    ansu chennai

19. pdcrumbaker says:

Beautiful. Congratulations, and thanks for the journey.

pdc

20. Ruth Palsson says:

Sharon, congratulations on completing THE quilt. Also many thanks for all the final assembly details. They have been appreciated. I would love to come to the display but Brisbane is a little too far away!

21. Faye Dianne says:

Congratulations Sharon, this is a wonderful display of your lovely work…

22. Lynne says:

Wow! It must give you a huge sense of satisfaction! It looks fabulous.

23. Debby Holman says:

Oh, WOW! That is just amazing. I am taking your encrusted crazy quilting class and can’t wait for it to start. Thanks so much for sharing all your beautiful work and all of your how-to’s. It’s much appreciated. i just love your work.

24. Aida Costa says:

Congratulations Sharon!! What a gorgeous quilt. Thanks very much for sharing all your steps 🙂

You take GREAT close-up pictures!! Mind if I ask what camera and settings you use?

25. Melody says:

Congratulations Sharon! I have loved watching this quilt from its beginning many years ago. You must be so pleased and proud to have finally finished it.

26. judy mellers says:

Beeee-autiful Sharon. You must feel so proud! It makes me want to walk away from this essay on Web 2.0 and do some stitching.

27. Mary Anne says:

Huge congratulations heading your way Sharon! This quilt is a spectacular work of art and you deserve every single accolade that will be coming your way as people see it. Well done!

28. Robbie says:

Congratulations on meeting your deadline, Sharon! I would love to have the chance to see the quilt "live" but I will be too far away to get to the exhibition.

Hope the show is a great success.

Robbie