Stitch 2 Take a Stitch Tuesday 2018

buttonhole stitch sample 9Stitch 2 for the TAST of the challenge is Buttonhole stitch – or blanket stitch, as many people call it. This stitch is actually the foundation for a whole family of stitches. I don’t want to argue over how hand embroidery stitches are classified, as that can be a bit boring, but some people classify stitches according to the hand movement you need to make in order to create the stitch. So, since a fly stitch, for instance, has the same hand movement as buttonhole in the sense that the thread is passed under the needle, some people classify them as being in the same family. I have found that if people think in terms of what hand action they are using, they can make sense of it and it helps build skills. If you group together stitches in families, it helps as you have a rough idea of the sort of movement your hand needs to make.

Grouping hand embroidery stitches in families can be a very helpful way to think about them.  Some people try and memorise the various names and put them into families, rather than thinking about the hand action – so they can get in a muddle about it. To be honest,  if the idea of families of stitches just confuses you, don’t worry about it as it is meant to be an aid – a way of thinking about a stitch – not another point about embroidery to remember or be confused about. I would love to know what readers think and whether you group stitches in your mind so, for instance, you think in terms of crossed stitches, knotted stitches, etc. Leave a comment as I really would love to know.

Also, just try out Buttonhole stitch don’t get yourself tangled in testing a whole family of stitches just because I mentioned it!

Beyond TAST

For those who have done TAST before or if you already know the basic embroidery stitches, join in on the Beyond TAST challenge. Beyond TAST is a season of 4-6 weeks that allows time to explore an aspect of a design, technique, style, or family of stitches. See the TAST FAQ for more details. I announced the current Beyond TAST challenge in Week 1 which will last for a month which means this is week 2 of the “season” See Week 1 for more details

How to take part in the Take a Stitch Tuesday challenge

If you are new to hand embroidery the challenge is to learn Buttonhole stitch. So Learn stitch 2 and share what you have learnt. If you are an experienced embroiderer try and give your work a modern twist and share it online so beginners can see what can be done with a little imagination.

Where to share

Stitch a sample of stitch 2, photograph it, put in online on your blog, flickr site, share it in the  TAST facebook group or where ever you hang out online. If you have a blog leave a comment on the Buttonhole stitch page with your full web address. Don’t forget the http bit of the web address so that your address becomes a live link so that people can visit your site and see what you have done.  For Flickr people the group is Take a Stitch Tuesday. Hashtags are #TASTembroidery and #PintangleTAST on places like Instagram etc.

If you need more information the challenge guidelines are on the TAST FAQ page.

Crazy quilt template set 2 Have you seen my Stitchers Templates?

As someone who loves crazy quilting and embroidery I designed these templates with other stitchers in mind. With my templates you can create hundreds of different patterns to apply to your stitching and crazy quilting projects. They are easy to use, totally clear so you can position them easily and they are compact in your sewing box.

Templates set 1 you will find here
Templates set 2 you will find here

a tangle of pinsFollow Pintangle and have it delivered to your inbox

You can have Pintangle delivered to your inbox by using the follow feature in the sidebar. Just enter your email address, and when you get the confirmation email make sure you say yes and you are all set! If you are on a mobile or tablet you will need to scroll to the bottom to find the follow feature.

14 Responses to Stitch 2 Take a Stitch Tuesday 2018

1. Janet White Tidwell says:

Sharon, That’s ok by me! I will follow as always! Love your site!! jwt

2. Janet White Tidwell says:

Sharon, Hello from Tennessee! I have followed your site and received your Newsletter for many years! I love them both! TAST 2018 has started and I’m excited! Two questions, have the TAST been updated? Both Links sent me back to 2012. I have both of those on my Pinterest Board. Are there any New stitches or updated ones? I didn’t want to duplicate pins on my Pinterest Board. Thank you for your generosity!! jwt 1/10/18

Janet same stitches different order – as usual I will add some new stitches but to be realistic we need to let new people learn the basics – so that means a repeat of stitches and it is always interesting to se the versatility of stitches and what people do with them

3. Barb, Ballwin, MO says:

I’m currently trying to put together stitches for my CQ group. After studying my favorite stitch books, I’m sort of grouping stitches but keeping them separate. To put them in alphabetical order makes me rebel. What I’m doing is in a 12 month format.
    They also want to do fabric books. Sometimes I know I’m the fool who rushes in where wise men fear to tread!

4. kaethejean says:

there was an exhaustive exploration of the naming convention for this stich over at Mary Corbet’s blog…oh maybe 6 weeks or so….it can be looked up as she also is great about the tags on her posts.

5. Beth N in AZ says:

I do “classify” so far as “line” stitches and “fill” and “spot” stitches, though even that is grey as you can fill an area with chain or stem or …

The only time I classify “knotted” stitches differently is when it really helps to switch to a milliner’s needle, such as bullion or double cast-on etc

6. Dru says:

Hi Sharon, I got my Template Set today, what a clever aide you have made for us! Can’t wait to use them. Also started the TAST this year and hope to make it all the way through the entire year. Feels great to get back to this time honored craft and re-learning all the basics is a wonderful way to start. Thanks again!

7. Margaret Roberts says:

No Sharon I don’t group stitches in my mind. Each one is individual and my mind is always in overload so why bother clogging it up with more fog. Missing you. ❤️

8. Eileen Longworth says:

Hi there, I cant find the beyond Tast unfortunately. On clicking the above link it goes to a ‘cant find the link’ page. 🙂

9. Nelleke says:

Yes I think in terms of families, or at least relationships. Sometimes I’m playing with a stitch and it changes into something else. I twice invented Cretan stitch: once from buttonhole stitch, once from herringbone stitch. So to me, those are related.

10. Julia says:

I’d never thought about stitching in this way – the relationship between fly stitch n b/hole stitch hadn’t occurred to me as chain stitch n fly stitch seen far closer to me..
    Quite a thought tho!!